Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

Baja California

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Baja California

Postby armadillo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Im planning a trip driving to La Paz, Baja California. Launching the boat in Loreto and La Paz. I need to be connected to Internet most of the time, so Im thinking about renting an airbnb and use the sailboat 2 or 3 days every time. Does anybody has experience in the area? How difficult is to find a place to rinse the trailer every time I launch the boat? Is there any safe place to leave the dinghy several days.
armadillo
Just Enlisted

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Baja California

Postby Stevenhigbee » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:48 pm

I hope you make a vlog of your trip, especially whatever hiccups you encounter. I got a smartphone with AT&T prepaid plan, $40 per month with autopay, because it allows tethering and data access throughout Mexico. I haven't tested it yet in Mexico. I don't expect high-speed on it, but hoping it's good enough for email and non-video web pages.

The plan details state:
Includes unlimited nationwide calls and messaging in and between the U.S., Mexico, and Canada. Also includes use of the high speed data allotment from your plan while in Mexico or Canada. Data usage exceeding the high-speed allotment will result in reduced data speeds of up to 128 Kbps for the rest of your 30-day term. International data roaming may be reduced to 2G speeds.
Stevenhigbee
Chief Steward

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Baja California

Postby Chinook » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:50 am

We cruised our 26X to the places mentioned in your post in spring 2008. The trip is detailed in our blog, which can be found at http://chinook.cecka.us. We trailered across the border at Nogales, then drove 300 miles south to San Carlos, near Guyamas, on the mainland side of the Sea of Cortez. San Carlos has an excellent marina with all the necessary facilities, including access to secure long term parking for tow rig and trailer. We did an overnight crossing to Santa Rosalia on the Baja side, and then gunkholed our way south, as far as La Paz, returning via the same route. The highway from Nogales to Santa Rosalia was 4 lane divided highway, in good repair, for the entire distance. Only potential problem was an almost complete lack of shoulders. In most places the pavement dropped 3 or 4 inches to a very steeply sloping roadside. Places to get out of the travel lane were very limited. We were advised to avoid driving at night, due to risk of hitting livestock on the roadway. We followed that advice, and did see unfenced cows along the roadway. At that time, we felt very secure once we got away from the immediate border region. In La Paz we walked all over the city and consistently encountered friendly people. The small towns and little fishing villages we visited were incredible places, with great human interactions. The Mexican Navy has a presence down there, but we were never boarded. I would definitely recommend that you obtain and fly a Mexican courtesy flag. We did hear that the Navy sometimes targeted foreign boats for boarding, which didn't fly the courtesy flag. WIFI internet was sometimes available at marinas or restaurants in the towns, however, the service was almost always terribly slow. I expect it has improved somewhat since then. Access to fuel at fuel docks, as well as fresh water, can pose challenges in some places, but there's always a way. You may have to wait sometimes. Since you're planning a land based trip, your needs will be significantly different than our cruising needs were, but you still might find the blog of help. I'd definitely check with Customs Service regarding latest information on security for Americans traveling in that region. In general, it seems that Baja tends to be safer than mainland Mexico, and in fact, we talked with Mexicans who vacationed on the Baja side for that reason. Be sure you thoroughly research all needed permits beforehand, including but not limited to obtaining your Boat Importation Permit as well as your Mexican insurance. We connected with an organization called Vagabundos which was of great help in that department. Don't even think of bringing a firearm into Mexico. If you do, you can count on a long spell in a Mexican jail. Prepare a detailed list of the equipment and gear installed in your tow vehicle and boat, so you can prove that you're leaving with what you arrived with. I hope you can make the trip. We loved our time down there, and we both agree that, of all our trips, the Baja cruise was the one we wished could have lasted much longer.
Chinook
Admiral

Return to Destinations, Clubs, Events and Venues