Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Used boat, 26X value question

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale, Paul S, tangentair, Frank C, beene, Heath_Mod

Used boat, 26X value question

Postby John Gault » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Greetings,
I am looking at 26X boats. From my experience in used car pricing, the NADA is usually on the low side of actual values. For a 2002 boat with extras, I checked on the NADA site. It says good condition the average retail price is $14,400 and suggested listing price $16,000. The owner is doing FSBO, no DIY mods, and asking a few thousand more than the $16k. It has 2 sails, trailer with brakes, good electronics, bimini, mostly fresh water, and 50hp Suzuki, with really low hours. Given that the boat is in really good condition, what do you guys think it would be worth?
John Gault

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Used boat, 26X value question

Postby Duane Dunn, Allegro » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:43 pm

I'd expect to pay 18k-20k depending on equipment. Any blue book is only going to reflect the value of a stripped boat as it came from the factory, sometimes even not including the motor as the factory never supplied a motor with an X. Unlike cars, these boats are not on a constantly declining value line. If it is un-damaged with all working gear, it is just as serviceable as it was the day it was sold new and you'll find the price drops with the new to used initial hit as usual but is then really quite constant even as the boat ages.

This is even more true for a Mac as they are so low priced to start there is not a lot of downside as they age. Some will even appreciate as equipment is added, and the price of new replacement ones goes up. BWY was telling me a month ago that most of the boats they have been selling this year have been loaded to the gills by the new owners with every option they offer pushing the price of these new M's over $50k.
Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral

Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Postby Phillip » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:04 am

FSBO. Does that mean For Sale By Private Owner.
I have bought a few 2002's for $18k-18.5k, thru dealer, and they have all had plenty of good extras.
So the NADA $16k for an owner who sells thru a dealer isn't too far out.
(The 2002 can be a particularly good boat for the correct money actually. The 2003-04 M's knock their price back.)

I know I live in Australia John, but I buy in your market, and it is a buyers market at the moment....in a really big way.
Cheers
Phillip
Phillip
First Officer

Postby Craig LaForce » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:22 am

Worth is a tricky thing. Price is simply set by supply and demand. They don't make the X anymore, so if you want one, there is a rather fixed supply out there, and the shift to a different satisfaction curve is a big jump (other boats of similar nature). But with a down economy, probably an excellent buyer's market at the moment.
But if you want a powersailor and like the X, it could bring far more worth in terms of enjoyment to the owner. It might be a good thing if the boat hasn't been modified much. Other than the few gifted artisans that mod their boats, many mods may not be well done, or what you might want. For example, I have a 4 inch smoke stack on mine. and an inside secondary steering wheel by the galley. Probably would not help the resale value. :)
Craig LaForce
First Officer

Postby 1st Sail » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:11 am

I joined Boat US and used their appraisal service. You email them the specs and they will email back an estimated market value based on sales in your region. FYI the 18K +/- sounds to be a fair estimate. However, it is definitely a buyers market and would adjust the offer accordingly.

I sent 2yrs reading this forum and reviewing used boat ads and asking prices. I was lucky and found a used '06 fresh water, low hours, stock boat with Boat 4 Sail options. The looke like new the day I picked it up.

Boat US has marine surveyor references, title transfer assistance etc. or you can do it all your self.

I had my Etec hooked to a dealer computer and got a dump of the engine history.
Hours, overheats, over rev, and operating hours chart in 1K rpm increments. It had 49 hrs. and the rpm chart was flat except for the 1K which had all the time.

Prior to closing the sale I requested the PO fax or mail me a copy of the clear title. I emailed him a pdf copy of the cashiers check, bank, and bank contact ph no. so he could verify the check. We did the paperwork in his kitchen.

The PO walked me thru steping the mast and rigging the sails.

Hooked it to my truck, looked in the mirror and thought what the h.,,, did I just get myself into. Not a regret since.

I think the X interior is great. IIRC the X cockpit is larger than the M as well.
1st Sail
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby John Gault » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Thank you very much for your input!

Cheers
John Gault

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion