Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Blue Water Yachts Marine Marketing

wheel shft size m26x

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale, Paul S, tangentair, Frank C, beene, Heath_Mod

wheel shft size m26x

Postby MMMike » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:10 pm

Hey guys
Does anyone know the shaft size on a 2000 26x?
Tapered or not.
I hate that small wheel and want a real big one.
Saw a folding wheel for really big bucks, but what the heck.
Sailboats are a lot cheaper than race cars.

MMMike
FIGMENT 00 26X
MMMike
Deckhand

Postby craiglaforce » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:53 pm

on my 97 26X with rotary helm I'm pretty sure it was a 3/4 inch tapered shaft, but would wait until someone else verifies this. Its been about 2 years since I checked last to buy some steering stuff.

You might want to pick up a steering wheel puller and maybe a second woodruff key while you are at it.
craiglaforce
Captain

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby mike » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:47 pm

My '98 (rotary helm) is a 3/4"... this wheel (the 18" model), at dclark's suggestion, works great:

http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?r ... eStore.jsp

Also, on the topic of wheel pullers, I'm hoping someone can reassure me that I am not a moron... when I was installing my autopilot (and replacing the stock wheel with the above mentioned 18"), the old wheel would not budge. So, I headed down to the auto parts store and bought a steering wheel puller.

When I got back to the boat, I sat there for about 30 minutes trying to figure out how the darn thing worked (there were no instructions included). It consisted of a large center bolt that was clearly designed to push against the steering wheel shaft, and a pair of smaller bolts that appeared to be intended to screw into holes in the hub of the wheel (which would then be used to pull the wheel out). My wheel did not have any such holes, and, despite plenty of experimenting, I could not figure out a way to utilize this tool in getting the wheel off.

I eventually gave up and went to Sears... they had steering wheel pullers too, but they were pretty much just like the one I had already bought. I then spotted a gear puller, consisting of a large center bolt, and a pair of "hooks" (for lack of a better word) that would grasp the back of the steering wheel hub and pull it when the bolt was tightened. This worked.

So, when everyone here says "get a steering wheel puller" do they really mean get a gear puller? Or is there a way to get the above described steering wheel puller to work in this application?

--Mike
mike
Captain

Postby Chip Hindes » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:11 am

So, when everyone here says "get a steering wheel puller" do they really mean get a gear puller?

Yes

Or is there a way to get the above described steering wheel puller to work in this application

Only if you could drill and tap the hub.
Chip Hindes
Admiral

Postby Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:39 am

They also have "universal" wheel pulling kits that come with a lot of stuff to work on any type wheels....I borrowed this kit from my neighbor (the one with all the cool tools). When I pulled mine for autopilot maint, I had to jury rig a third "hook" with a turnbuckle (one with hooks, not closed eyes) and it did the trick.
Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral

Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

larger wheel

Postby norbert » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:33 pm

have a look on the 55cm (21 1/8 inch) vetus wheel. there is an adaptor for the 3/4" mac steering. scroll down to see the 55cm version.
norbert
First Officer

Postby Frank C » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:59 pm

I guess I was just lucky, but after removing the center nut, my steering wheel fell into my lap with one, sharp hammer rap on the center stud. Try it, you may like it.
Frank C
Admiral

Location: Alameda, CA . . . Hull# MacX.3067.G900, "Chamelea" with Suzuki-60 on model-year 2000
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Steering Wheel Diameter

Postby Jack O'Brien » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:39 pm

Be advised Raymarine SportPilot has an 18" limit on wheel diameter.
Jack O'Brien
Captain

wheel shft size m26x

Postby Al » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:27 pm

Hi Guys
What is the largest wheel that will fit the Mac?
AL :P
Al
Just Enlisted

Postby norbert » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:00 pm

not shure but i guess about 25 inch should be possible.
BUT:
1) i did not find a larger than the vetus 21 1/8" wheel that fits (with an adaptor) on the tapered 3'4" teleflex shaft (normal sailboat wheels have another kind of shaft);
2) too large means too much torque on the steering system;
3) the 21..." ist the max when you will still pass beside. it is also large enopugh to steer from the coaming.
norbert
First Officer

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion